Friday, January 9, 2015

Daily Log: January 9, 2015

-- Discussion of Webern in 20th-Century Counterpoint (see January 8 for specific readings). None of my questions were answered; Dr. Asplund couldn't explain the symmetry in his String Quartet either.  I guess stuff like Webern should be saved for more mathematical minds.  I spent a little more time on it, but then moved on to other things.

Like Pauline Oliveros. While I didn't read any more of von Gunden's book, I explored her piece Pathways to Grandmothers.  I could only find one recording of it, but it's a solid one.  Not much information is out there for this drone piece.  I collected what I could.

I also pursued her Sonic Meditations.  I found the text instructions for about half of them, but the rest are absent from accessible websites I explored.  I've inquired Dr. Asplund about where I could obtain a copy of the entire "score" for these pieces.

Reading Update:  I finished the first chapter of LaRue's Guidelines for Style Analysis.  I'm considering not starting my SHMRF-a-day until I finish this book.  It takes too long to both read and SHMRF on the same day.  (Some of you are asking "What the heck is SHMRF?" I promise I will tell you in a later post.  It's gold.)

Paper Update:  No significant progress, but Dr. Harker gave me the ultimate go-ahead today.  I'm thinking I'll listen to the whole oratorio over the weekend and find some parts I may want to research.  I also found two books that are solely about The Creation.  These will probably really help me in finding an angle.

German Update: :(  I'll do six pages tomorrow.  It's Saturday tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment