Saturday, January 17, 2015

Daily Log: January 16, 2015

Quite productive in some ways, but I keep leaving my Haydn studies until last minute, and that could end up hurting me in the long run.

I studied the first Italian Intermezzos in the Oxford History, in preparation for 604.  Nine pages in that book fly by.

I also explored some 12-tone rows for 20th-century counterpoint.  This assignment worries me; I spent far too much time just thinking about it and dreading it, that I didn't really do much actual composing.  I can save more of this work for Monday (MLK Day).

I translated a page of Goethe -- this one was more difficult than past times.  I also received a book of shorter Goethe poems from my friend Ingrid.  I'm excited to explore this language; I'm thinking of finding the German version of Harry Potter, along with an audiobook in German.  Ingrid also suggested that I watch some German films with German subtitles.  I received some other tips and tricks for learning a language from her that I'd like to lay out in another post.

I read LaRue's chapter about Melody.  It was really interesting.  Melody is such a hard thing to describe and quantify, but I think LaRue does a really good job.

I also studied the final song of Oliveros's Three Songs, "Song Number Six," with text by Charles Olson.  That was a quick song to analyze; it's only four measures long.

While I did not really look at any new sources for my Creation  paper, I did acquire a few, including Sither's History of the Oratorio.

No comments:

Post a Comment