Monday, January 26, 2015

Daily Log: January 26, 2015

Marginal success today.  I completed my Haydn paper bibliography over the weekend, as well as read up on early symphony (Sammartini, Stamitz, CPE Bach, etc.) over the weekend.  We discussed those in 604 today.

I also read an excellent article from Perspectives of New Music about John Cage's Concerto for Prepared Piano and Chamber Orchestra.  (Pritchett, James.  "From Choice to Change: John Cage's Concerto for Prepared Piano."  Perspectives of New Music 26 (Winter, 1988): 50-81.) I listened to two works by Feldman as well as Cage's concerto.  We discussed those works in class today.

Further reading was done in Von Gunden's book.  I'm now considering writing a short paper for 20th-century Counterpoint on Oliveros's early works.  But perhaps new textural habits will come to be seen as I continue in the book.

Translated German for 1 hour. Goethe poetry.

Read part of the chapter on the Growth Process in LaRue's Guidelines. 

Finally, I spent some time composing a piece I'm going to call Boomerang.  It's just a pointillistic piece.  Not serial at all, but it will have some symmetry in it if I can get the patterns down the way I want them to sound.  Writing "melodies" in this kind of music is pretty much impossible (as was discussed in class today), so I need to sort of come to conclusions by trial and error.  I'll probably write a post about the experience once it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment