Monday, January 12, 2015

Daily Log: January 12, 2015

Spent more time with Webern's Symphonie op. 21 and Piano Variations op. 27.   Both discussed in 20th-Century Counterpoint today.

Discussed C.P.E. Bach's Fantasia in C minor in Classical Seminar, as well as the Empfindsamerstil.  I didn't read today's readings.  Fortunately, we are a day behind, so there was no penalty.  I feel very good about this class.

Paper Update: I shall begin a book on The Creation tomorrow.
German Update: I spent about two hours translating one page of Faust.  It is not impossible.  I'm feeling the grammar better.
Thesis Update: Spent some time researching some of Oliveros's earlier pieces.  Turns out she has ties to Charles Amirkhanian; I have ties to him, and he might make a nice resource.
Reading Update: No LaRue, but some of the von Gunden.

I guess you could call today a "bad" day.  I didn't get much done.  It rained.  I felt fatigued during class.  My pen broke in my purse and I got ink all over my face.  But considering the setbacks, I managed to stay productive until about 6 o'clock tonight.

I'm thinking I should separate things into hourly blocks:

1 hour LaRue/SHMRF
1 hour Oliveros study
1 hour German
2 + hours Creation Paper
Other homework shouldn't take more than 3 hours.

Then I can spend about 30 minutes reading a chapter of Dostoevsky, 15 minutes on my journal, and about 10 minutes on these entries... And that, my friends, is about 9 hours of work outside of class.  That sounds both doable and impressive.  Time management.  Patience.  Work.  These are things I still have to master if I want to be a good musicologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment