Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Daily Log: March 4, 2015

I wrote three pages of my Haydn paper! I am on a ROLL!

The bad news:  It looks nothing like my outline.  However, part of this has to do with the fact that I completely changed my thesis.  So it's alright, I guess.  I should probably chat with Harker and present him a NEW outline.

I decided to just buy the Mockus book. I also finally bought Deep Listening. I figure I should actually own books by or about Pauline Oliveros.  They're going to become a big part of me the next three years, and I'd like to be able to mark up the books and keep the bibliographies.

I'm also curious about attending one of Oliveros's Deep Listening Workshops.  It doesn't look like they had any since early 2014, so I wonder if I've missed my opportunity.  I'll probably have to (*shudder*) call the guy in charge and figure out how I could possibly get a personal one here at BYU (with school funding, of course).

There's actually a lot of funding and such that I should be considering.  I can probably do a lot of the travelling at my own expense.  A drive down to San Diego or a plane ticket to Houston isn't bad.  But I'd like to have stuff paid for by the school if I can get it.  I'd also like to work on having Pauline Oliveros come out HERE to BYU.  Wouldn't that be cool?  I've got about a year and a half to make stuff happen.  Better get down to it.

I was the only one to show up for class today in Classical Seminar, so it was cancelled.

We discussed Anthony Braxton's use of symbols as notation for improvisation in 20th-Century Counterpoint today, and were given the assignment to write a piece using this notation.  I am excited, because I want to extend the technique one step further using colors.




No comments:

Post a Comment